Saturday 12 January 2013

4 fasts from 2!

I was lying in bed last night and I realised something pretty amazing (well I consider it so), that on the 5:2 Intermittent Fast protocol, you actually can get 4 fasting periods out of 2 IF days.

The way it works is this:

On Thursday night I stopped eating at 6 p.m. and fasted until 10 a.m.  - 16 hour fast.

I then ate the IF day of 500 calories (for a female - 600 for males), and had my last meal at 5 p.m.

This means I have finished eating at 5.20 p.m. and as I did not have any calories left, I then went until 10 a.m. Saturday (this morning) before eating again. - 16 hours 40 minutes fast.

Effectively by eating my last meal/food intake on the IF restricted calorie day earlyish, and by not eating the next day until 9 or 10 a.m., I automatically get another fasting period of 15 or 16 hours in, without really consciously intending to. As I do this twice a week, it turns my initial idea of 2 fasting periods a week into 4. RESULT!

What makes this more tolerable for me is that it is only in 2 chunks. If I had to split this up more - say like the alternate day fasting, it would affect more of my week and my mood/energy levels. Due to my health issues, I am not a natural faster, so the easier I can make it for myself the better.

One of the reasons I am so excited about learning that I can do 4 fasting periods out of 2 IF rotations is that I watched Dr Mosley's Horizon documentary yesterday afternoon. Not only did it help me to cope with eating 500 calories (sometimes I need a bit of inspiration!), but the research thus far speaks for itself. The results of studies on mice and people are amazing. As someone for whom IGF-1 has been an issue (excessive growth) and for whom insulin resistance/type 2 diabetes is a concern (no one in my family has it - I definitely do not want it), the lowering of IGF-1, fasting glucose and cholesterol levels is heartening. I have come to the conclusion that regardless of weight, this is something I would try for the health benefits.

If you have not seen the documentary, check it out:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UPFBkJzFLni





No comments:

Post a Comment