Tuesday 21 February 2012

Dreaming...

One of the things which a change in diet and lifestyle can do to you is it can make you a bit of a dreamer. Well this certainly seems to be the case for me! Since I have started to successfully lose weight and drop some inches, I have started to become interested in the idea of clothes again. Good for me style-wise, bad for my wallet!

To be honest, when I am bigger, I am just not interested in clothes at all. I have somewhere between an hour-glass and pear-shaped figure (big bust, small waist, big hips). When I am heavier, these features are more pronounced/exaggerated, so my hips are very large compared to my waist. It's not an easy figure to dress because of the hips and the bust. Dresses are a no-no. Trousers/pants are hard because, if the hips fit me, the waist is always way too big for me. Even tops are complicated because they need to be small on the shoulders, but big on the hips - n.b. most tops are not like this.

When I finally get to a certain point in weight loss and firming my body up, I start to be more in proportion. This means I can wear a wider range of clothes styles and find things that will fit me much easier on the High Street. My biggest pleasure of late is dreamily looking at catalogues and interestedly thinking about which items of clothing I could possibly start to fit within the next 6 months. 

It's interesting because the feelings inside me are so much different when I am actively working on losing weight, firming up and getting fitter. If I were not doing this, I would normally look at the catalogues that come through the door half heartedly, skipping through the pages and noting all the things I couldn't attempt wearing. After which, I would go through looking at the things I could wear, which would typically be not that much, and then spend ages wondering if it was worth buying anything because chances are it wouldn't fit in one area and would be too big in another (the curse of the out-of-proportion body).

So shopping as the bigger me becomes about covering the body and finding something to wear rather than being about what I would like to try wearing. Whereas, shopping as the smaller me becomes about trying different styles, different colours and textures and wearing what I want to, rather than just what will fit me and not look hideous.

Better start saving those pennies up!





No comments:

Post a Comment