Sunday 19 February 2012

My Day Off & TTOTM *That Time of The Month*

Yesterday was my day off... that is the 1 day in every 7 where I can be a little free-er in my eating. I can eat what I want.

The premise behind this is that:
  • I will learn to control myself around food
  • I will learn how much I can eat without gaining
  • I will learn to not be reactive (and reactively eat)
  • I will not plateau on my diet because I am not always eating the same amount of calories and same type of foods
  • I will not feel deprived
So far, so good, until yesterday...

And I don't know if it's because I am now nearly at week 6 of calorie counting (week 6 will begin on 20th February) or whether it's because it's TTOTM and I am PMSing, but I felt out of control for the first time. I actually felt a combination of: a. eating too much (even though looking back it was not that bad) and b. knowing I was eating more than I should but still eating it!

The latter concerns me more than the former, not because I am not worried about eating too much, but because I feel that point B is something that needs to be dealt with, as it's probably what causes me to gain weight more than just the intake of too much food. Not being able to stop or control myself when I know I should is really not a helpful state to find myself in, as if I could stop myself eating when I am full or don't need the extra calories, I wouldn't be eating too much in the first place.

I can see this whole process being a long-haul right now. Nearly 6 weeks in and I am thinking I am making progress, but then I get stalled by this. I am not really sure if I was feeling deprived and PMSing or whether I was having some form of 'diet rebellion' or what. Maybe I will never know!

I have no idea who this baby is, but baby looks like I felt... fed up!

Despite feeling like I had a slip-up, I still think the free day is very important. The reason I think it is very important mainly stems from the fact that when I go into maintenance in the future, I need some foundation and building blocks to build that state from. It's unrealistic to expect someone who has been dieting for 6, 7, 8 months or more to suddenly just go back to eating what they want and not gain any weight back. If you have not allowed yourself some freedom and some treats, how can you learn how to eat in a more 'normal', less restrictive and possibly socially more acceptable way? For me, this is a learning curve and instead of being frustrated, disappointed and guilty (which are natural feelings I want to have) about yesterday, I instead am trying to focus on this as a lesson in life.

The good news is that today I have been straight back on target. I amazed myself with my ability to pick myself up and get straight back down to business! I had a healthy, fibre-filled breakfast, went for a walk in the sunshine and then came back and prepared a 'healthy' Sunday roast dinner, which included my low-fat roast potatoes (recipe below).

Weigh-Forward's Calorie Counting Roast Potatoes

Ingredients:
Sunflower or Vegetable Oil
Potatoes (King Edwards, Rooster, Desiree are good for this)

Method:
  1. Heat the oven to 200 C or 400 F
  2. Peel as many potatoes as you need (for those calorie counting, I use between 100 to 150 grams each or 3.5 to 5 ounces each)
  3. Cut the potatoes into chunks, as desired
  4. Place the potatoes in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil
  5. Simmer for no more than 5 minutes
  6. Drain the potatoes into a colander and then shake them a little to roughen up the edges
  7. Get a large roasting pan, take 1 tbsp of oil and pour it into the pan
  8. Take a pastry or silicone brush and brush the oil over the base of the pan so that it is totally coated
  9. Toss the par-boiled potatoes into the pan and spread them out so they are an even, single layer
  10. Place the pan into the oven and cook for 15 minutes
  11. Remove the pan, turn the potatoes over to brown each side and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes
  12. Repeat step 11 once more before leaving in the oven for a final 15 minutes
  13. Total cooking time should be approx. 1 hour
  14. Serve with roasted meat, fish or vegetarian fare and plenty of freshly cooked vegetables

No comments:

Post a Comment