Tuesday 13 March 2012

Resting ~ Week 10 - Finding the Middle Path

I am just about to take my dog out for a walk instead of doing my usual high impact cardio workout. I really need to rest this week. I know that if I take some time out, I will feel up to do the higher impact exercise again. Maybe this is what happens when you enter week 10 - you feel a little jaded & need a little time out.

I am still calorie counting, but I am not sweating the small stuff. If I go slightly over, I won't be stressing out. Life is short and I think that when people calorie count/diet, exercise and invest themselves in a new way of life, it can become a bit of an obsession. My mum always says: everything in moderation and I think she is right. It's easy to become overly meticulous about food and exercise just like you might have previously been the complete opposite and not given a damn! Trying to find that balance or middle way or treading the middle path is very important. It's also very Buddhist.


So what do I think the 'middle way' or 'middle path' looks like:
  • In tune with your body
  • Intuitively eating (knowing what is right and wrong for you at any given moment - so listening to hunger, listening to cravings, listening to your body's needs for nutrition)
  • Being okay with yourself at your current size
  • Having the ability to 'let go' of things as they occur (not comfort eating in reaction to boredom, stress, upset)
  • Not feeling guilt around food/eating
  • Knowing that, no matter how long it takes, you will reach your destination
  • Being okay with the fact that this process takes time
  • Being peaceful around food, eating, weight, exercise and not feeling other people's pressure and stress about what you should or should not be eating/doing
I am very slowly getting there. I think it will take me a long time to reach the point where I am able to factor all of the above into my life and my mind. I am okay with that though. I know that right now I am doing my best and that's all that matters.


1 comment: